Sunday, August 20, 2017

Behind the Scene Sundays with Sabrina


🌺Behind the Scene Sundays with Sabrina 🌺

            First off HI , I'm Sabrina Merks, resident of Dutton and I'll be attending St. Lawrence College for musical theatre performance in the fall. You may have seen me in the Elgin County area wearing many hats, such as volunteer at The West Elgin Dramatic Society or have seen me as one of the cashiers at Dutton Foodland, or even possibly as current reining Miss Elgin County Globe. I spent my past year at Sheridan College in the performing arts program and I'm excited to be Assistant Museum Manager for whats left of our summer here.

           Tuesday & Wednesday were quiet with the addition of giving tours. I enjoy giving tours and letting people grasp our little corner of history here in Dutton Dunnwhich. We also had a few items donated this week, some from my own personal collection. Im very much a music person, *obviously* and my dad one day found some very old sheet music and gave it to me. One of the books was called, Music Of The British Empire and inside it is the original version of O'Canada. The other book of music was book filled with how to teach children to play piano, but the really cool part was who owned it. We had to do some digging but on the inside cover of the book was name Clara Heine. So we pulled out our laptops and starting digging. Luckily Angela is a way better detective than I am was able to find out that the family was one from Dutton Dunnwhich. You never know what you might find in your own backyard.

         
            Thursday was our Day Camp day. This weeks theme was all about Biodiversity. The children learned all about animals and plants in the area and how early settlers may have encountered them. Unfortunately it poured rain for most of the day so all of the activities had to be inside, which doesn't make for a lot of fun when everything you're learning about is outside.  The kids still had a great time and thats all that matters.

Friday we had a few visitors and I was able to get 2 more years of nomenclature done. Im hoping to have all of it done by Wednesday. If you don't know or haven't heard about my struggles with the nomenclature I have to go through all of the years 1996-2016 and classify all of the man made objects. It takes a long time because you're consistently flipping through a book. However the task is very important, and will help us out in the long run. 


Thats been my week,
Tune in next for another update
Sabrina Merks

         
       

    

No comments: